Sunday, April 19, 2009

Wednesday April 15.. Bubbles comes home

I bought a crate for Bubbles for in the car, I see people driving with loose dogs in the car and I think they are crazy. Um......I drove home with Bubbles on my lap.... I decided I couldn't crate her. She's at least 4 years or older, and may have spent her whole life caged. I have survived trauma and just couldn't make her go through more. The car was going to be hard enough when the last and probably first time she has any memory of being in one she was thrown out the window. I did try to put her on the passenger seat and as soon as I tried to move her in that direction she started crying. So on my lap she went. I was so going to get arrested if I got pulled over!!! Forget cell phone distraction! She sat in my lap and shook for 5 minutes. I have to say I do watch Cesar Milan "The Dog Whisperer" and I didn't pet her during this time (I'm a good girl, yes I am), just waited for her to calm down on her own. She did and layed down. I'm thinking this isn't so bad. Get home, uneventful. Put her on a leash, kind of cute. She dosen't go anywhere. I stand and she stands, I walk she stands. She starts to walk I follow, she stops as soon as I take a step and flips around to make sure I am not going to kick her, and stand again. This went on for a half an hour. Time to change tactics. I go way in front of her holding her leash and call her "Bubbles, come here Bubbles." and she comes towards me, ( she dosen't understand but already wants to be near me and petted). Reward and again and again and again etc. Until we have walked 100 ft. Whew! time to rest. No potty yet.
Next time we go out I have my daughter hold the leash and follow her. I stand about 12 ft away and start calling, she comes, but as soon as my daughter takes a step she freaks out and flips around, checking for a kick or something equally nice. We keep working, and finally I get her to continuously walk for about 100ft before reward (this takes about 20 minutes). PROGRESS!!!!!!! :)

1 comment:

Hadda Nuff said...

100 ft is good before a treat. You're doing GREAT!